You don’t want to mess with a classic.
Unless you set a new standard and create a new classic.
I wish I’d created this recipe for what I consider the Perfect Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie. These are every bit as good as regular chocolate chip cookies but without the harmful gluten. I didn’t create this recipe but I found it at MeaningfulEats.com (a great blog loaded with gluten free recipes) and they are everything you could ever want in a chocolate chip cookie! Warm and melty chocolate, tender on the inside, crisp on the outside, not too sweet with the perfect amount of crunch from the toasted nuts. And without any harmful gluten. As soon as I tried them I knew I had to share them with you.
I’m not sure why gluten has become so toxic to so many except for this–wheat has changed. The wheat we ate growing up in the 60’s is different from the wheat we eat today. Modern wheat has been altered and hybridized and causes a lot of problems for a lot of people. Here’s an article explaining it better than I ever could.
Back to the cookie. I love sharing recipes with you that bring joy and encourage community and hospitality in your life. This one, especially for those of you going grain-free, (but even if you’re not), will put a smile on your face and give you the perfect excuse to bake.
As if we need an excuse to bake, right? Make a double batch and have some friends over or take some to a neighbor or a new mom or your local nursing home 🙂
See below for the fabulous recipe with a few of my tweaks.
Gluten Free Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup Organic Coconut Oil, softened
- ¾ cup Organic Coconut Palm Sugar or organic brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large organic eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups Almond Meal/Flour (I use Bob's Red Mill brand)
- 1 ¼ cups Organic Chocolate Chips
- ⅔ cups toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with Parchment Paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter, coconut oil and coconut sugar.
- Add vanilla and eggs. Blend until mixed together.
- Mix in baking soda and salt.
- Add almond flour one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in chips and nuts.Personally, I always chill dough 30 minutes or so before baking. It prevents the cookies from spreading too much.
- Scoop by tablespoons and place 3 inches apart on baking sheet. I like to flatten them a bit with my hand.
- Bake 11-12 minutes for soft & chewy or 14-18 minutes for crispier, browner cookies. You can tell by the photos I go for crispier and browner!
- Remove to a cooling rack. These are crispier the first day but will soften by day 2.
Products I use in Perfect Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- Almond Meal/Flour (I love this almond flour and I buy it in the big 3 pound bags)
- Organic Chocolate Chips
- Parchment Paper
- I made my dough the night before and chilled it overnight in the fridge. The cookies came out perfectly with an excellent crispy crumb.
- I like crisp cookies so I baked these about 16 minutes. Like them chewy? Only cook about 11 or 12 minutes.
- Because they’re made with almond flour, they have a more delicate, even tender texture. But still perfect to dunk in a glass of cold milk!
- These freeze beautifully. I wrap 2 cookies in little baggies and then stack several baggies in a large gallon size freezer bag.
- Perfect for lunch boxes or a healthy after school treat.
- Try adding some toasted coconut and macadamia nuts for a different twist.
- I use dark chocolate chips but any kind are fine.
Here are some of my other Gluten Free Favorites:
- Coconut Brown Butter Cookies
- Gluten Free Blondies
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake
- Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes