Have you ever made homemade jam? I love to make it! If you know me and we’re friends, I’ve most likely given you a jar. In fact, I’ve probably given you too many jars. I’m a little obsessed with it so I always have an overflow.
Which got me thinking. Making good jam is a lot like making a good life.
- To begin, your jars must be clean with no chips or cracks. Our body is the vessel for our mind, soul and spirit. Clean living, right thinking and healthy eating will keep us ready for the challenges and opportunities that come our way each day.
- Quality ingredients matter and your fruit must be ripe. Under ripe fruit isn’t sweet and overripe fruit is losing flavor. There is a time and a season for everything in life. Learn to know your season, where you’re at right now and how you can maximize and make the most of this time in your life.
- Use enough sugar to sweeten your jam and also to make sure it sets properly. Enjoy life! Take the time to be a blessing and to do the things you love and life will be a lot sweeter and more rewarding. You will be sweeter too.
- Don’t use too many ingredients. They can affect the set and spoil the jam. What’s most important? Focus on that. Don’t let tons of details distract you and get you off target. Learn to say no.
- Use lemon juice. It preserves the color of your jam, balances the flavor and improves the pH. It’s the sweet and the sour that make life interesting. When life hands you lemons, make lemon marmalade!
- Make small batches. Most recipes don’t double well. Most of us have just a few friends that we can call on at 2 in the morning. Take the time to invest in the ones you love and that love you back. Go where you are celebrated, not tolerated!
- Jam making takes time. Patience is one of life’s best teachers. The lessons are hard but critical for our well-being. We can’t rush life. We need to slow down and enjoy the season we are in! (see number 2)
- You need the right equipment and tools to process jam. To make life come out the way you want, it’s critical to set goals. Get an education to learn how you can make your plans succeed and give your dreams wings.
- A boiling water bath for a set amount of time is critical to seal your jars, kill organisms and make your jam safe to eat. Difficult circumstances, tests and challenges come to us all. The fire of testing creates character and teaches us to focus on what really matters: relationships, integrity and faith.
- Make sure your jars are properly sealed. Improper seals will cause your jam to spoil. When you look back on your life, you want to leave a legacy. Did you let bitterness or disappointment, unforgiveness or sorrow creep in and steal your peace?
So, there you go! Now, enjoy your yummy creation by the spoonful and share it with others! When you give yourself away, you’ll be surprised how how full of blessing your life becomes!
You know I love your comments, thoughts and ponderings so feel free!