Audrey Jane. Two years ago today you made your debut, 10 days past your due date but ready to take on the world. You took your sweet time getting here but girlfriend, when you were ready, you rocketed into the world in a mere 30 minutes! Poppy and I got to hold you just moments after you were born and you were an absolute wonder to us in that moment. You still are.
You’re a precious little snuggle-bunny and whenever I get the chance, I delight in singing and rocking you to sleep.
You’re turning two and already I’ve noticed several things about your personality and girlfriend, let me tell you…
you. are. fearless.
You climb up anything, go anywhere, eat anything that’s put in front of you and generally go wherever your brother goes, no matter what obstacle is in front of you. I love that about you. The call on your life may well require courage and fortitude. A warrior princess maybe. But a princess most definitely.
You’re a bit more serious than Eli, your big brother. He’s an easy going boy with a sunny personality. You seem to be quite thoughtful, watching and thinking and figuring things out with this adorable, serious look on your face. Maybe you’re a ponderer like me. I’m pretty sure you will never be one to ‘go with the flow’ and I know you and Eli will be leaders, not followers.
I want you to know this and believe it: God has an amazing, custom designed plan for your life. You will be getting to know Him as you grow and I can’t wait to watch you fall in love with Him! Your mom and dad are great parents and I know they will teach you all about Jesus and what it means to follow Him. Here are a few things Poppy and I are praying for you as you grow into the woman of God He’s called you to be:
20 Things I’m praying for your life:
- I pray you will come to know Christ at an early age and relentlessly pursue Him until your last breath.
- I pray you will know your calling early and follow hard after it.
- I pray you will dream big, pray hard and love ferociously every day you’re on this planet.
- I pray you will know you are fearfully and wonderfully made.
- I pray your life will be marked with humility, honesty and integrity. Living thus will require you to go against the flow but I already know you are strong and fearless.
- I pray that maintaining purity will be important to you. The culture will try to drag you down and convince you to devalue virtue but I’m praying you will be strong and resist every temptation. Learn this early: The culture is not your BFF.
- I pray you’ll be a generous woman and will give to others no matter what because you’ll know that everything you have, everything you’ve been given, is a gift from God.
- I pray, like your mom and dad, you’ll be a world changer. Your life is incredibly important to God and He has something special that only you can do. In fact, He created you to do it before the foundation of the world.
- I pray you will always use wisdom with your words. Words either build up or tear down, they either speak life or death. Choose carefully.
- I pray you’ll continue to grow in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man. Pursue wisdom and hold her close.
- I pray you’ll have a strong sense of discernment and the ability to clearly hear God’s voice. And to obey quickly.
- I pray you will honor your mother and father that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
- I pray you will always love and and be a friend to your big brother, Matthew Elijah. He is incredible and amazing and precious to God too.
- No matter what God calls you to do, I pray you’ll do it fearlessly. Or, just do it afraid. But do it. And refuse to compromise the truth.
- I pray you will always choose to do the right thing, even when it costs you.
- I pray you will always keep your word and honor your commitments.
- I pray you will never be afraid to believe the impossible. I pray you’ll always be willing to take The God Dare.
- You are of royal heritage and you will get to know your King and Father as you grow. Don’t ever forget you really are a princess which comes with great privilege but also great responsibility. You’re a princess because your Father is a King. So I’m praying you will lead but serve. Don’t be afraid to wash feet. Don’t be afraid to go into all the world and love the unloveable.
- I pray you will live like you mean it.
- Most importantly, I pray you will love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength. Because this is the main thing and the foundation for life.
Audrey Jane, you are my ‘sweet pea’ and I love you with all my heart. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for your life. It’s going to be a fantastic adventure, I just know it!
I’ve kept all your mama’s toys and dolls, her doll house and every dance recital costume she ever wore (yikes!) so we will have some awesome dress-up adventures. Oh, I have her Samantha doll too and Barbies and so much other fun stuff for us to play with.
I’m excited to bake cookies together, paint toenails, watch old movie musicals, have sleepovers and tea parties and all the fun girly things I hope you love as much as I do! And I can’t WAIT to take you shopping! Girlfriend, I’m a ninja shopper and I will teach you all my ninja skills! Oh, and we will a total blast with Eli too. He is so much fun to play with and I eagerly anticipate lots of adventures with all of us together!
One thing I hope I pass on to you, sweet pea. I hope you see in me a love for God that’s real. A delighting in Him that’s authentic and all consuming. It’s a narrow road this road of the cross but it’s so much better than anything the world will ever offer you.
I love you so much Audrey Jane! Happy Birthday Sweet Pea!
Audrey Jane and Eli, now 4 and 6 years old!
And Isaac James, the newest addition!!