Is there anything more comforting than a rich bowl of creamy, warm tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons? Maybe with a little sass added to it, a few ingredients to kick it up a bit. A dash of basil, a glug of heavy cream, a pinch of crushed red pepper, a smidge of sundried tomatoes. Blend it all together, put grilled cheese croutons on top and you’ve got dinner worthy, guest worthy soup. And it’s soup-er easy to put together. In fact, I bet you already have most of the ingredients in your pantry right now! It will take less than an hour to make Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Croutons. Enjoy!
Spices for Creamy Fire Roasted Tomato Soup, including some pesto I had on hand.
In case you were wondering, grilled cheese croutons.
Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 3 tablespoons butter, ghee or grape seed oil
- 1 cup organic celery, chopped
- 1 cup organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil or 2 teaspoons pesto or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1½ teaspoons paprika, regular or smoked
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large can (28 ounce) diced organic tomatoes
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup organic heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add butter or oil. When hot, add the celery, carrots, onions and garlic, basil, paprika, crushed red pepper and the bay leaf. Cook until vegetables are tender but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- Now add the chicken or vegetable broth, the tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes and worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. When done, fish out the bay leaf.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, puree the soup but leave it somewhat chunky. You can also do this in a food processor or blender in 2 batches.
- Add the cream, reheat and serve.
Adding just half a cup of heavy cream.
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 4 slices good hearty bread – Use your favorite, even Gluten Free.
- Several slices of your favorite cheese-cheddar, swiss, havarti, jack, pepper jack
- Butter, softened
- Butter each slice of bread on one side making sure to get all the way to the corners.
- Place cheese slices on unbuttered side of one piece of bread and put a second piece on top, butter side up.
- Place sandwiches in a hot skillet and press them down with something heavy. I use an iron skillet to weigh them down, you want them flat.
- Cook 2 minutes on each side or until brown and crispy.
- Remove from pan and cut into one inch chunks.
- Top your soup with croutons and dig in!
- Any bread will work including a good gluten free bread. I love Udi’s and I get it at Costco where it’s cheapest 🙂
- There’s a lovely tea room in my town and they make a terrific tomato soup. They add toasted pecans to it and I think it’s a wonderful idea. Pecans, pine nuts, either one would be amazing.
- Use some fresh parsley and freshly chopped basil in place of the croutons for a lighter soup.
- For a different take, add a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- If you’re not eating dairy, just leave the heavy cream out. It will still be delicious!
- If you like your soup spicy, increase the crushed red pepper. If you don’t, leave it out and pass Tabasco to those who want some heat.
- Any canned (organic) tomatoes will work with this but I love these Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes, Fire Roasted They add a wonderful punch!
- If you have a panini press, use it for the grilled cheese. Also, try adding some crisp bacon to your grilled cheese croutons. Incredible!