It’s August, school has started back in many parts of the country and gardens and farmers markets are overflowing with zucchini! Today I’m sharing my favorite way to prepare this lovely summer squash with a recipe that’s loaded with flavor and nutrients. Baking these Zucchini Fries is so much better for you than frying and by using gluten free cornmeal and almond flour, you’re giving your family a delicious, crunchy, healthy, grain free treat! Even kids will gobble up yummy Zucchini Fries!
Lovely zucchini, sliced and ready to be dipped and baked.
Zucchini Fries are super easy to prepare and kids will love helping with these! Just slice into fry-sized slices, dip in beaten eggs and then coat well with the cornmeal mixture. Arrange on a cookie sheet and bake till brown and crispy! Serve with a big bowl of homemade marinara–my favorite is my husband Mike’s Italian Spaghetti Sauce–or try one of my favorite jarred sauces warmed up on the stove: Muir Glen Pasta Sauce, Italian Herb. Or make some pesto mayonnaise with homemade pesto! YUM!
- 3 medium organic zucchini
- ½ cup organic cornmeal (or see Kate's Tips below for another suggestion)
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon paprika½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 large organic eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Slice zucchini into fry-sized slices. Use paper towels to dab off excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Put cornmeal, almond meal, spices and cheese in a bowl.
- Dip zucchini slices into egg mixture then into cornmeal/almond meal mixture, coating each slice well.
- Place coated zucchini slices onto a well greased or parchment lined rimmed cookie sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes. Turn slices over. Bake 15-20 minutes more or until golden brown.
- For extra crispy fries, broil a few minutes but watch carefully so they don't burn!
- Sprinkle with a little more grated cheese and serve with marinara, pesto or garlic mayonnaise.
- Instead of corn meal and almond meal, try coconut flour and arrowroot powder, ½ cup of each 🙂
- I buy only organic zucchini as conventional zucchini is often genetically modified. Unfortunately, you won’t know it’s not genetically modified unless you buy organic.
- You could easily use yellow squash or patty pan for this recipe. Any summer squash will work.
- If you have Italian Seasoning, that’s fine to use in place of the oregano and basil. Or any seasoning you like!
- Zucchini Fries make a terrific appetizer for a party.
- Try Zucchini Fries with burgers, grilled chicken, Cheesy Bacon Burger Bites, or Chicken Sliders!
Products I use to make this recipe:
- Almond Flour or Meal: Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour Super Fine Grind
- Corn Meal: Bob’s Red Mill Fine Grind Cornmeal
- Oregano: Simply Organic Oregano
- Basil: Simply Organic Basil