We had an authentic old fashioned diner in Westfield, New Jersey, the town where I grew up. It was called The Excellent Diner and they had the best chicken salad sandwich ever. I would go after school with friends and I always ordered a chicken salad sandwich on rye toast with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. Oh, and a side of well done french fries!
It was heavenly chicken salad and I’ve endeavored to recreate it here. It’s not necessary to roast the chicken first but when you do, it gives your chicken salad a wonderful, deep flavor. You can use rotisserie chicken instead of roasting it yourself. Or, poach a couple of boneless skinless breasts, let cool and then shred. This recipe is so easy! I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think!
Put chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast chicken breast.
With your fingers, shred the chicken.
Roast Chicken Salad and Roast Chicken Salad with curry.
Roast Chicken Salad
- 2 organic bone-in chicken breasts with skin
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup good mayonnaise – I use Vegenaisse or you can make your own
- 1/2 cup diced organic celery
- 1/2 cup diced red or vidalia onion (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- For curried chicken salad: 1 tablespoon Madras Curry Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Wash and dry chicken breasts.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Rub the oil all around and then sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Roast 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest until cool enough to handle. Remove skin from chicken. Discard.
- With a sharp knife, remove meat from the bone.
- Shred the meat and set aside. You’ll have 2-3 cups of shredded meat.
- In a bowl mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, celery and onion. If you’re using curry powder, add it now.
- Add the shredded chicken. Serve.
- I love onion so I always add it. Feel free to leave it out if you aren’t a fan.
- If you’re making curried chicken salad, try adding a couple tablespoons of Major Grey’s Mango Chutney
and some raisins.
- Fresh green peas would be good in this.
- You can add grapes and almonds or toasted pecans to this recipe if you’d like.
What’s your favorite way to make chicken salad?