Put pasta in front of my husband pretty much anytime and he’s happy. Add peanut butter to the sauce? He’s in heaven!
I love a good, spicy peanut sauce and mixed with spinach fettuccine and lovely shredded veggies. Raw Vegan Veggie Pasta Salad becomes a wonderful cold main dish pasta or a perfect side dish to bring to a pot luck. Use gluten free pasta if you want to keep this totally gluten free. This one is my favorite: Le Veneziane Gluten Free Pasta. Or, keep it completely raw by subbing ribbons of zucchini for the pasta.
This is a super easy, super healthy recipe that will fill you with fiber and protein and all kinds of wonderful, crunchy vegetables!
Raw, Vegan, Veggie Pasta Salad
Serves 4-6 as a side dish
- 1/2 pound of (preferably) whole grain or gluten free pasta
- 3 carrots
- 1/4 head of a small cabbage
- 1/2 pound of fresh asparagus
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- A small handful of fresh herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, cilantro or whatever you have
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 1/4 cup Organic Peanut Butter or almond butter
- 2 tablespoon Tamari or shoyu sauce, low sodium preferably
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Nectar, Agave Nectar or raw honey
- 1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Organic Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Cook your pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. After it’s drained sufficiently, put it in a bowl with a tablespoon or so of oil and stir it around to prevent it from sticking together. You can prepare the pasta hours before you assemble the salad.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core of one of the quarters. Peel the carrots and asparagus. You don’t have to peel the asparagus, I just do it because it looks prettier that way.
- Now, set up your food processor and use the disc that has one slit for the cabbage and the disc that has lots of holes for the carrots. If you don’t have a food processor just slice your cabbage thin and grate the carrots. I like to lightly steam the asparagus first or even throw the whole stalks into the boiling pasta water and cook for 2 minutes before the pasta goes in. Feel free to leave them raw if you like.
- Now rinse the asparagus and when it’s cool, chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Chop your cucumber up about the same size and thinly slice the red onion and cut the rings into quarters.
- Put all the veggies into the bowl with the pasta and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.
- To make the sauce, put all the ingredients in a little mini food processor or just whisk together in a bowl. I included the peanut butter when I made the sauce and because it was natural peanut butter it was a little too dry to whisk so I dumped all the ingredients in the little mini processor and let it whirl. It’s a wet dressing, not super thick but it perfectly coats all the pasta and vegetables.
- When your’e ready to eat, pour the dressing on the salad and toss it all together. Sprinkle the herbs on top and some toasted sesame seeds. Dig in!
- Another good pasta option would be buckwheat soba noodles.
- Be creative with your ingredients. I think chopped red or yellow pepper and chopped broccoli would be wonderful in this salad.
- Tahini can be kind of bitter and some people don’t like it so just use the peanut or almond butter if you prefer.