I can’t even tell you how much I’ve wanted 2018 to end and 2019 to begin! Don’t get me wrong, 2018 had lots of great things happen but it had tough times too. I feel deep in my spirit that 2019 is going to be a breakthrough year for a lot of us, a year of transformation, a year of actually doing those things we’ve been threatening to do for a long time! Just know my friend, God created you to do much, much more than you could ever imagine! Let this year be your year to step out! You’re either afraid to do it or…you’ll decide to do it afraid!
Here are a few highlights from 2018:
- January started with me ending up in the hospital after having a grand mal seizure in my sleep…not fun! This post describes my journey. I’m weaning off the seizure meds and believing for complete healing in 2019!
- My precious grandson Wyatt turned 1, sweet Isaac turned 2, adorable Audrey turned 6 and the amazing Eli turned 8! What a gift it is to be a grandparent!
- I learned that today’s grace is the only grace we have.
- My oldest grandson Eli got baptized 🙂
- My husband Mike got to play trumpet in Franny’s music video for The Breakup Song….so much fun!!
- I signed my second book deal with Barbour books! My book, The God Dare, will be out in June!!
- Began testing lots of new recipes! I’ll share many new ones in 2019 and God-willing, have an e-book of my favorites for you to download.
- What a joy to be a regular contributor to the beautiful Strength and Song blog and magazine!
- I enjoyed being on a few podcasts…Mike and I got to be on Angie Elkins wonderful Chatologie podcast called Cultivating Creativity.
- I loved being a guest with Tricia Goyer on her Walk it Out podcast. Her bravery and willingness to share about hard things in her past gave me the courage to share hard things in mine…things I’ve never ever shared before. It’s hard to talk about the ugly and scary times but if it sets one person free from guilt and shame then I will do it, every time!
- Mike and I celebrated our 35th anniversary! (And they said it would never last…Ha!)
- I was deeply honored to have 6 devotions published in the truly beautiful (in)courage Devotional Bible!
- Franny’s new CD, Own It, came out to rave reviews!
- And…she got to sing with Andrea Bocelli for his special The Heart of Christmas, broadcast all over the world on TBN!
- I might, just might, be starting a podcast with two other amazing women in February. Shhhh…I’ll keep you posted!
- My website is getting a complete overhaul this month. Next time you hear from me, you’ll find a brand new space that’s updated and much easier to navigate! So looking forward to a refresh after 8 years!
Honestly, I don’t believe God is very interested in my resolutions. He wants my submission, my obedience, my loyalty, my love. Most of us use this time of year to resolve to change, to do better, to lose the weight, quit the job, start the hobby, write the book, etc. It’s good to resolve I guess but, it’s better to obey what He’s already told you to do.
As I’ve said before God’s economy is never wasteful and He never squanders the life training He gives us. He will use everything you’ve gone through when you trust Him to lead. God will call out the big dream He placed in your heart decades earlier and give it wings, if you’re willing to step out. Both Abraham and Moses prove you are never too old for God to use you—and both of these remarkable biblical heroes changed the world!
Here are some questions to ponder as 2019 begins:
- What was the most important decision you made last year?
- What are three major blessings you experienced?
- How did you improve your life? How did you improve other’s lives?
- What are the three best ways you used your free time? The three worst?
- What impossible dream are you believing God for?
- What most caused you to grow and change last year?
- What life event had the biggest impact?
- What extraordinary truth about you did you discover in 2018?
- What new skill did you tackle?
- This past year did you give your body all it needed to be the healthiest it can be? If not, why not? Will you make some positive changes in 2019?
- What do you love doing that you’re not doing?
- What fear conquered you this past year? What fear did you conquer?
- What risks did you take?
- What did you do that you want to be remembered for?
- What can you do to make life simpler in 2019?
- Who do you need to forgive?
- If friends were giving you advice about your life, what would they say? Would they be right?
- What dreams were born in 2018? Which dreams died?
- Who did you mentor last year? Who mentored you?
- How did your life help or impact another’s?
This year, I hope to put down my phone more and be available to relate to the people around me. It’s so easy to lose touch with the real world when we’re constantly on social media comparing our lives to others. Let me tell you from personal experience, comparison is the absolute thief of joy! Let’s all read more good books and get off Facebook!
I want to encourage you to take that scary step, make that phone call, repair that relationship, decide to make your health a priority, get real with God, be honest with where you can do better, forgive the ones who’ve hurt you and let go of the past. We all get a fresh start every January 1st. Let’s make the most of it okay?