Kale chips…seems kinda incongruous, doesn’t it? How do you make chips out of kale? And why would you want to?
One reason – they are delicious – light, crispy and to top it all off, healthy! Oh,and did I mention only 3 ingredients???? If you have picky eaters or those who swear they don’t like kale, give these I try. I promise they will be a hit. Mike and I eat an entire bowl whenever I make some. I use a large bunch of kale, cook on 2 baking sheets and we eat
every. single. bite.
Absolutely the hit at any party. People rave over them. Seriously!
Tear into bite size pieces, then drizzle raw kale with olive oil, salt and pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Or sprinkle with some garlic powder. Place on a parchment covered rimmed baking sheet. If you use parchment paper clean up is a snap!
Kale chips! Light as a feather, crispy and oh so addicting!
- 1 bunch kale – organic if possible
- 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil or grape-seed oil
- 2 0r 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese. I use Reggianno Parmigiano.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Wash and dry kale thoroughly.
- Tear kale into bite size pieces.
- Place kale in a large bowl and drizzle with oil. Mix thoroughly with your hands to distribute oil. Massage the oil into the kale for a minute.
- Place kale on a Parchment Paper lined baking sheet leaving a little space in between so the kale bakes and doesn’t steam. Use two sheets if necessary. If you don’t have parchment paper, use a bit of oil to grease the pans so kale doesn’t stick.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, garlic powder or spice of your choice.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes, if kale is turning brown it’s done. If not check every couple of minutes. Kale can burn quickly.
- Remove from oven. Use a spatula to gently lift kale from sheet and place in a bowl. They are very delicate and crisp.
- The first time I made them, I simply sprinkled the kale with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Some people like to grind up the crispy chips and sprinkle over hot popcorn.
You can’t tell by the photo how crisp and amazing they are but……they are! What’s your favorite healthy appetizer?
[…] use kale because it’s a hearty green and holds up well to the heat. Plus, it gets crispy like Kale Chips and tastes amazing! Try cabbage, spinach, fennel or swiss chard if you don’t like […]