I love opposites in food, like the sweet and salty crunch of a chocolate dipped pretzel. Or the cool and hot of a Jalapeno popsicle. Or salted caramels, or curry shortbread. And I love the way lettuce wraps are all hot and spicy goodness wrapped up in a cool and crisp lettuce leaf.
Perfect as an appetizer for 4 or dinner for two when you want something savory but not heavy. These are super easy to make although you may need to add a few ingredients to your pantry like Hoisin Sauce and rice wine vinegar. Believe me, once you make these, your family will be clamoring for more so you’ll use those jars up in no time! I think you’ll agree, these are every bit as good as the chicken lettuce wraps at P.F.Changs 🙂
Put the chicken into a food processor and pulse until ground.
Some of the ingredients – Chopped onion, garlic and ginger. Hoisin sauce, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.
The cooked chicken with all the other ingredients added.
Savory Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound organic skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil, coconut oil or ghee
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon organic sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, shoyu or tamari
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes or hot oil
- 2 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 1 eight ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 head of lettuce, Boston, red or green leaf or iceberg
- Coarsely chop the chicken into chunks.
- Put the chicken in your food processor and pulse until finely ground but not a paste.
- Heat the fat in a large saute pan and cook the chicken over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Break up the chicken as you go.
- Add all the other ingredients except the scallions and the water chestnuts.
- Cook and stir until the mixture is browned and the onions are cooked, another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the water chestnuts and cook another minute.
- To serve, put the clean lettuce leaves on a platter. Spoon the chicken mixture into a bowl.
- Take a lettuce leaf, put a few spoonfuls of chicken on it, add a few chopped scallions, roll up and enjoy!
- If you want a vegetarian dish, use a pound of chopped mushrooms instead of chicken.
- You can add cilantro, bean sprouts, julienned carrots, cucumber or cabbage for extra crunch.
- Add some chopped peanuts for more crunchy goodness.
[…] also send them recipes that I have tried and liked. Like a new crockpot recipe. Or this amazing Chicken Lettuce Wraps. These lettuce wraps are easy to make and super yummy and make me feel like I am at Pei […]
[…] bit as yummy as the ones at PF Changs! They cook up quick and are super easy to prepare. Enjoy! Read More (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || […]