Summer is in full force here in Georgia. The humidity’s kicked in, the fireflies are lighting up the night and Georgia peaches are everywhere. Sweet, perfectly blushed, juicy peaches capture summer’s essence in every bite. One of my favorite ways to enjoy them is in this Easy Peach Ice Cream Recipe.
Five ingredients plus a couple of hours equals a perfectly peachy dessert that just might have you licking the bowl! Ice cream is quite simple to make and this is the simplest of recipes with just fresh, ripe peaches, heavy cream (or full fat coconut milk for dairy free ice cream), sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Super easy, very kid-friendly and absolutely the richest, creamiest summer treat imaginable. I adapted this recipe from the one I found on MakeandTakes.com.
First you’ll peel, pit and chop your peaches then macerate them with lemon juice and sugar. You’ll blend about 2 cups of the mixture till smooth then add the cream and vanilla, pop in your ice cream maker and churn for about 30 minutes. Heaven!
Easy Peach Ice Cream
Makes 1 ½ quarts
- 6 fresh, ripe organic peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ cups organic sugar
- Juice of one large lemon
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy organic cream or full fat coconut milk – I use this one: Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk
- Chop the peaches and put in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and the sugar and stir. Let sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes so the sugar can dissolve and the peaches can release some of their juicy, peachy goodness.
- Mash the peaches with a potato masher to break up any big chunks. Remove about 2 cups of the peaches to a blender or food processor and puree. Pour the pureed peaches back into the bowl and add the heavy cream and the vanilla. Chill the mixture for at least 30 minutes. You want it well chilled before going into your ice cream maker.
- Pour into ice cream maker and churn according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Pour into a freezer safe container and freeze for a few hours before serving.
- You can use any fresh fruit you like. Strawberries, blueberries, cherries, nectarines, raspberries. The directions are the same.
- Pour into popsicle molds instead of an ice cream maker for delicious, rich popsicles.
- Try using full fat coconut milk for a non-dairy, vegan treat.
- Sometimes I roast the peaches first, sprinkling them with coconut sugar instead of regular sugar. This gives a darker color and more caramel-y flavor to the ice cream. It’s so good!
- Add a little salt, maybe ½ a teaspoon to cut the sweet.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of almond extract for a flavor boost. Delicious!
Some other summer desserts you might enjoy:
- Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Pies – Apple, Lemon Meringue and Blackberry
- Strawberry Shortcakes with Scones
- Gluten Free Blondies
[…] For dessert, to keep the peach theme going, try making homemade Peach Ice Cream. […]