It’s mid-afternoon and the realization suddenly hits: you’ve got nothing planned for dinner! You need something easy and you need it fast. Healthy would be a bonus and if it’s even possible–delicious and kid-friendly too. The ‘holy grail’ for families is their collection of quick, go-to recipes everybody loves, right?
Easy Chicken Sliders might be one you and your family (and your kids!) will want to add to your collection. I got to thinking about my Salmon Patties recipe (the most popular and most viewed of all my recipes) and I wondered if I could do something similar with cooked and shredded chicken and a few ingredient tweaks. Easy Chicken Sliders fills the bill for those hectic days we all come up against from time to time. They’re quick to put together, completely versatile, healthy and did I mention loaded with flavor? Oh yes! See the variations below for Buffalo style and Italian style.
They’re paleo and if you use gluten free bread crumbs or crackers, well, then they’ll be gluten free too! Easy Chicken Sliders freeze easily so make a double or triple batch and store some in your freezer for busy nights when you need something quick.
Easy Chicken Sliders
- 4 cups cooked chicken, you can roast your own, use leftovers, or use a rotisserie chicken
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 small onion or 4 scallions, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup organic mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
- 1 cup bread crumbs or crumbs from a couple of slices of whole-grain bread like Ezekial Bread (use gluten-free bread if you like)
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons organic butter, ghee or coconut oil
- You can either chop your chicken into small pieces or shred the meat. I prefer it chopped but whatever's easiest for you. To shred: Put chicken in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, turn on low for one minute then switch to medium for one minute. You should have nicely shredded chicken.
- Put chicken in a bowl. Add all the other ingredients except for the butter or coconut oil and mix together thoroughly. I scoop the chicken mixture out with an ice cream scoop and then form into 3 inch patties and refrigerate for at least half an hour. You can also freeze them for the future.
- When you're ready to cook, heat the fat in a skillet until hot. Cook the sliders about 4 minutes on each side or until nice and browned.
- Serve on wholegrain rolls. Top with Yo Sauce, (recipe in Kate's Tips) blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing or salsa and sour cream.
Buffalo Sliders, add ¼ cup hot sauce, 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese, and ¼ teaspoon of chili powder and cumin to the recipe. Serve with Blue cheese dressing.
Italian sliders: Add 2 teaspoons of oregano, 2 more cloves of garlic, and ½ cup of Romano cheese to the mixture. Serve topped with tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- 1 cup organic mayonnaise or homemade mayonnaise
- ¼ cup organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha Chili Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup sweet pickles, diced or pickle relish
Mix all ingredients together until blended.
You can shape your chicken mixture into patties or form it into little meatballs like my Cheesy Bacon Burger Bites.
- Get creative with these! Add chopped red pepper, corn, shredded carrots, zucchini, any veggie you like!
- Add chopped crisp bacon and shredded cheese. Amazing!
- I use crumbled Ezekial Bread or gluten-free bread crumbs.
- Here’s a fun and gluten-free alternative to rolls. Make ‘bread’ out of grilled slices of sweet potatoes. Fun right? Or wrap your chicken slider in lettuce leaves instead of bread.
- I usually serve these with sweet potato fries and a big salad.
- Feel free to change up the spices to what your family loves.
- Serve topped with sliced avocados, tomatoes, and red onions.
- Make a double batch and freeze half for a quick dinner option on busy nights.
- These would be amazing made with turkey instead of chicken. Imagine adding crumbled sage and some turkey stuffing then serving with cranberry sauce on the side. YUM!
[…] into greased muffin tins for fun little meatloaf muffins! Or, try my Cheesy Bacon Burger Bites or Chicken Sliders for kid approved […]
[…] the meat and make Easy Chicken Sliders. These are so […]
[…] Try Zucchini Fries with burgers, grilled chicken, Cheesy Bacon Burger Bites, or Chicken Sliders! […]
[…] Chicken Sliders […]