At our house, holiday breakfasts and birthdays always begin with Fresh Blueberry Muffins. They make the whole house smell wonderful and I love the idea of associating favorite foods with celebrations and special occasions!
After Mike and I got married, we went to Cape Cod for our honeymoon and stayed at a lovely little Bed and Breakfast owned by two of our friends. Every morning we awakened to the most marvelous scent of fresh blueberry muffins, bacon, eggs and other yummy breakfast treats. Of course, I begged them for the muffin recipe and they happily obliged. I’ve been making them ever since.
If you stay at my house for any length of time, you are guaranteed to wake up to either muffins or Popovers. Guaranteed. You might get my Apple Pumpkin Gluten Free muffins or maybe you’re in the mood for Banana Nut Streusel Sour Cream Muffins or French Toast Muffins. You never can tell!
I start with organic blueberries. I only use organic berries because berries are one of the most heavily sprayed crops.Add those fabulous blueberries, bursting with flavor. I add a lot because life is short.
Okay, that’s the result. Come to my house and you will wake up to these.
- 1/2 pint or more of fresh or frozen organic blueberries
- 2 cups all-purpose or Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – 1 cup Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 cup organic milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, butter or ghee, melted
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk eggs, milk and oil or butter in a separate bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and add the blueberries.
- Pour into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 425 for 8 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 and bake about 20 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you use frozen berries, they’ll take a bit longer to bake.
- Serve with lots of butter and fresh jam like this one Fresh Raspberry Jam or this one Strawberry Jam The French Way or Apple Butter.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts for some crunch.
- I don’t use any other oil to cook with except coconut, extra virgin olive or grapeseed oil. Everything else is too processed and chemical laden for me.
- You can make these gluten free using this baking mix I created.
- If you don’t have baking soda, you can use 4 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Sometimes I sprinkle the tops with brown sugar before putting them in the oven.
- Mix up the dry ingredients before you go to bed so in the morning all you have to do is put together the wet ingredients, add the dry and the blueberries and you will have muffins in no time!