There are days my sanity is saved only by getting out my bowls and spoons and creating new recipes. When my brain can’t take one more minute at the computer I get down to the kitchen and cook. And it helps. A lot. Thus my newest recipe for Gluten Free Blondies.
Some recipes change your world. This is one of them because these kid-friendly Gluten Free Blondies are made with grain free flours, good fats and a healthy, low glycemic sugar. I think they’re the epitome of pure perfection in a bar–chewy/crisp, not overly sweet, crunchy with nuts and toasted coconut, and speckled with warm, melty chocolate. Mmmm….
Gluten Free Blondies are truly divine and possibly my favorite recipe I’ve ever created. They go perfectly with either a tall glass of ice cold (organic) milk or a cup of strong coffee. If you take them to a holiday barbecue, picnic or potluck I guarantee they will be the hit of the party! Or, tuck them in a lunchbox for a fun treat.
When the stress level gets to be more than you can handle, baking therapy to the rescue!
I’ve been craving comfort food and blondies are top of my list! I adore chocolate and especially brownies (here’s my super delish gluten free version) but I wanted something more chewy and caramel-y with brown sugar, crunchy nuts and crisp toasty coconut with some chocolate chips thrown in too because honestly, chocolate makes everything better, right??
Since I had both almond flour and coconut flour on hand I decided to make them gluten free and paleo and I am SO glad I did! They have the perfect chewy consistency and don’t have that typical ‘gluten free’ taste at all. They taste just like the awesome blondies you love. Plus, they’re super easy to make!
I use coconut sugar in place of brown sugar for two reasons: coconut sugar has a much lower glycemic index than brown plus it’s loaded with nutrients. It’s the perfect healthy substitute and I use it exclusively now in ninety percent of my recipes calling for sugar.
Coconut oil is insanely popular and a super healthy fat so I used it for these blondies but if you don’t love it you can totally substitute unsalted butter and your blondies will be perfect. You could even brown your butter a bit for amazing flavor. 🙂 I added toasted pecans and toasted coconut flakes and dark chocolate chips. Feel free to substitute butterscotch chips or white chocolate chunks or go crazy and add all three!
Gluten Free Blondies Recipe
- 1 cup coconut oil or 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla (yes I do mean tablespoons)
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper. Or, grease your pan well.
- Toast the pecans by either putting them in a 350 oven for about 15 minutes or toast them in a hot pan for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. When done, let cool for a few minutes and then chop.
- Toast the coconut flakes. In a hot oven they will take only about 3 minutes, after that they'll burn so watch them carefully.
- Melt the coconut oil or butter and blend with the coconut sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Add the vanilla.
- Measure the flours into a bowl and blend them together. Stir them into the sugar and coconut oil mixture. Blend well but don't over blend.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips and about 2 tablespoons of the toasted coconut.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. It will be thick so spread it around and smooth it down with the back of your spoon. Sprinkle the remaining toasted coconut on top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes. The blondies took 42 minutes in my oven so check them at 30 minutes and see how they are. Use a cake tester or sharp knife to insert into the middle. If there's batter stuck on the tester continue to cook checking every 5 minutes. They should be just cooked through but not gooey.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve. I lift the blondies out of the pan by the parchment paper and lay onto a cutting board and slice.
- You can make these with regular flour if you like or use Organic, Sprouted Spelt Flour for a healthier option.
- Use any kind of chips you like. Semi-sweet, dark chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, white chocolate, you get to pick! Sometimes though, I leave them out and just enjoy the crispy goodness of a blondie without the distraction of chocolate 🙂
- I think adding a handful of dried cranberries or cherries would taste so good.
- These freeze beautifully. Wrap each blondie in plastic wrap and then place them all in a gallon size zip-lock bag and freeze.
- Here are a couple of other Gluten Free desserts you might like: Gluten Free Carrot Cake, Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes, or Gluten Free Paleo Brownies.
- Bob’s Red Mill Flour Almond Meal
- Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour (Gluten Free)
- Carrington Farms Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- RealSalt Sea Salt
- SunSpire Chocolate Chips, Organic, Semi-Sweet